Troup County

Hogansville Manufacturing Company

Built in Hogansville in 1899, and located in land lot 96 of the 11th district. This plant was chartered on July 11, 1899, by E. H. Thornton, and R. J. Lowry of Atlanta; and Frank Word, Judson F. Mobley, and J. F. Askew of Hogansville. The history of this plant from the above date is the same as that of the LaGrange Mills, as it was sold to the same corporation and afterwards was included in every transaction in which LaGrange Mills was concerned, and in- those changes suffered the same changes of name and was distinguished as the Hogansville …

Hogansville Manufacturing Company Read More »

Dixie Cotton Mills

Built in 1895, located on Greenville Street in LaGrange in land lot 107 of the 6th district. This mill was incorporated on September 26, 1895, and the following names appear on the charter: Samuel Hale James G. Truitt Blount C. Ferrell Francis M. Longley, of LaGrange W. N. Weeks of New York J. T. Cressey of New Hampshire Thomas P. Ivey of Atlanta Many investors of the local commercial world afterwards joined their forces to the above. At first the plant was not an entire success, because of poor equipment, much of which was out of date in cotton manufacture. …

Dixie Cotton Mills Read More »

The Callaway Mills

Under this title were merged into one great corporation the allied plants that were sponsored and controlled by the late Fuller E. Callaway, as well as those organized and built since his death under the management of Cason J. Callaway as president, and Fuller E. Callaway as treasurer. The plants in this great organization are as follows: Calumet, LaGrange Plant 9,984 Oakleaf Plant 3,168 Unity Plant 12,960 Unity Spinning 15,552 Calumet, Hogansville 12,096 Manchester Plant, Manchester, Ga. 25,080 Milstead Plant, Milstead, Ga. 13,668 Total Number of Spindles 92,508 In the early 1900’s, the maintenance of recreation parks and playgrounds, the …

The Callaway Mills Read More »

Biography of Henry Nicholas Meier

By Charles Barnum Background: The first child of Seaborn J. Thompson was Francis Louisa Thompson, b. 2 Mar. 1828, Seaborne’s first wife was Francis Smith. They married 2 Nov 1826 probably in Wilkes County, GA. Francis Smith Thompson died 14 May 1828—12 days after bringing Francis Thompson into the world. The place where the child Francis Thompson lived from that time until her marriage to Henry Nicholas Meier in Troup Co. Ga., is not known. (Married 26 April 1849 in Troup Co. GA.) Side note: Seaborn Thompson married Jane Briden Moreland 19 April 1832 and one of their children was …

Biography of Henry Nicholas Meier Read More »

West Point Government Officials

The early records of the city of West Point have been lost or destroyed and as a consequence, the roster of the city officials is complete from 1879 to date with the exception of those mentioned in the subject matter above. Mayors Of West Point 1879        W. L. Williams 1880-82 E. F. Lanier 1883-84 W. E. White 1885-86 J. M. Harrington 1887        J. S. Baker 1888       T. J. Jennings 1889        W. F. White 1890       T. J. Jennings 1891-92 H. T. Woodyard 1893       W. H. White 1894-95 H. T. Woodyard 1896-98 J. J. Smith 1899-02 E. J. Collins 1903-06 Philip Lanier …

West Point Government Officials Read More »

West Point, Troup County, Georgia History

The city of West Point was originally an early and important trading post on the east bank of the Chattahoochee and was called Franklin by the early settlers. Some of the earliest settlers were John H. Broadnax, Thomas Coker, William Coker, Joseph and John Williams, John Phipps and A. Cox. In 1829 Phipps, Williams and Cox built the first store at the top of a hill, but moved in 1830 and built a log store on lower ground nearer the river. The principal business at that time was with the Indians, who were thickly settled on the western side of …

West Point, Troup County, Georgia History Read More »

Twelfth Land District Grantees, Troup County, Georgia

The lot numbers followed by an asterisk (*) are fractional lots of less acreage than those unmarked; those followed by a plus (+) are not wholly in Troup County; the county from which registrations were made is the third column; names followed by an asterisk (*) are revolutionary soldiers or their widows; those followed by a plus (+) are soldiers of Indian wars or their widows. Source: History of Troup County, Atlanta, Ga.: Printed by Foote & Davies Co., c1935, pp 21-24.

Vernon, Troup County, Georgia History

The town of Vernon, which the promoters hoped would be the county seat of Troup County, was laid off in land lot 256 of the 5th district, and was on the river front of the east side of the Chattahoochee. The promoters were Wiley J. Sterling, John E. Gage, an Inferior Court judge, and Henry Faver. The number of citizens purchasing lots are not known, but the following secured deeds to lots in Vernon: John E. Gage, Wiley J. Sterling, James M. Rawson, Henry Faver, John Bostock, Josiah M. Bonner, Nancy Banks, John Lassiter, William A. Lyle, Robert Alexander, Robert …

Vernon, Troup County, Georgia History Read More »

Third Land District Grantees,Troup County, Georgia

The lot numbers followed by an asterisk (*) are fractional lots of less acreage than those unmarked; those followed by a plus (+) are not wholly in Troup County; the county from which registrations were made is the third column; names followed by an asterisk (*) are revolutionary soldiers or their widows; those followed by a plus (+) are soldiers of Indian wars or their widows. Source: History of Troup County, Atlanta, Ga.: Printed by Foote & Davies Co., c1935, pp 11-12.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top