Georgia attempted to require registration of births, marriages, and deaths on a county level in 1875, but the law was repealed in 1876. Some vital records for fourteen Georgia counties for 1875 have been microfilmed and are available at the Georgia Department of Archives and History (see Archives, Libraries, and Societies). In 1919 Georgia law required the registration of all births and deaths in the state. As in many other states, Georgia’s county governments were slow to respond to the new law and most did not comply until 1928. See Georgia Historical Records Survey, Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Georgia (Atlanta, Ga.: the author, 1941) for the records kept by individual counties. Eichholz, Alice, ed. Ancestry’s Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, Inc., 1992.
For pre 1919 Georgia Birth Records see the following article which will provide you with other options:
- Request a birth certificate
- Priority Service – Order a Birth Certificate Online
A few major cities required birth registration early:
- Atlanta – births, 1896. Fulton County Health Department, 141 Pryor St. Atlanta, GA 30303.
- Savannah – births, 1890. Chatham County Health Department P.O. Box 14257, Savannah, GA 31406. Early death records have been published by the Georgia Historical Society.
- Macon – births, 1891. Bibb County Health Department, 770 Hemlock Street, Macon, GA 31298.
- Columbus – births, 1869. Muscogee County Health Department, 1958 Eighth Avenue, Columbus, GA 31901.
- Gainesville – births, 1865. Available on microfilm at the Georgia Department of Archives and History.
The links in this table are informational only. They do not provide actual data.
Included in the microfilmed holdings of GDAH are pre-1919 birth records for Clarke, Emanuel, and Richmond counties and the City of Gainesville.
Georgia Birth Records Online
- RootsWeb Archives
- Banks County Miscellaneous Births
- Calhoun Co. GA – Applications for Delayed Birth Certificates – pre 1911
- Dade County Births 1918-1919 (World War 1 Servicemen Only)
- Elbert County Register of Births 1875-1876
- Jones County 1949 – 1950 Birth Index
- Oglethorpe County Births 1875-1878
- Upson County – Applications for Delayed Birth Certificates – pre 1900
There are a limited number of Georgia Birth record fiche and microfilms that can be ordered and researched at any FHC…
Overall, there appears to be a limited number of published sources for Georgia birth records, both offline and online. However, you can extract birth records from the following free resources: