Young Family Cemetery, Oconee County, GA Contributed by Jim Sturgis, August 2, 2004. Posted with his permission
The Young Cemetery is located on Barnett Shoals Road, at the intersection of Old Barnett Shoals Road, approximately 5.8 miles east of Watkinsville, GA, in Oconee County, on the south side of the road on the grounds of the Green Hills Country Club.
The cemetery has been vandalized, and of the eight graves there, several tombstones cannot be completely read because of the destruction or weathering. The graves there are:
- STURGUS, James F. b. May 6, 1822 d. March 2, 1851
- WILLIAMS, Eliza b. February 23, 1792 d. December 9, 1858 Wife of William Sturgus
- YOUNG, William H. d. August 25, 1837 Aged 9 years
- YOUNG, Thomas d. July 27, 1851 (“1” could be “7”) aged 11 (or 21) years 3 months
- YOUNG, Lucy A. b. September 13, 1832 (“3” in 1832 not completely legible) d. September 8, 1844
- YOUNG, Sara W. b. June (remainder illegible) d. November 1, 1850
- CULBERTSON, Martha Jane b. November 17, 1821 d. August 21, 1854 Wife of D.H. Culbertson.
- Small gravestone, unreadable. Foot stone initials W.H.Y.